Monday, March 8, 2010

Braised Spinach with Currants and Pine Nuts


I had something like this at Piatti a few months ago. I thought the idea was super-exciting but, sadly, the dish was so salty I couldn't taste any of the other flavors.


So, I decided to make it myself.



This will feed four (three if one of them is a spinach fiend like me):*

2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 large shallots
1/3 c pine nuts (pinons)
1/3 c dried currants
6 c baby spinach
salt

Heat a pan with the oil over medium heat while you thinly slice the shallot, then add to the pan. Add the pine nuts and currants. Saute, stirring frequently, until the shallot is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.

Wash the spinach and tear it into bite-size pieces. Add it to the pan and stir until wilted, about one minute. Add salt to taste. (4 large pinches worked for me.)

(Note: Washing the spinach adds needed moisture for the cooking process and is necessary even if the spinach is pre-washed.)

*The photos show a half recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment